Polytar Scalp Shampoo Coal Tar Solution 4% (150ml)
- For Treatment Of Scalp Conditions
- Suitable For Adults & Children Over 12 Years
- Reduce Scales, Inflammation & Itchiness
- Buy With Confidence From UK Registered Pharmacy
Polytar Scalp Shampoo Coal Tar Solution 4% is effective in the treatment of psoriasis, eczema, dandruff and other dry skin conditions that may affect the scalp.It is a thick, heavy oil which can reduce scales, inflammation and itchiness.
What Polytar Scalp Shampoo is and what it is used for
Polytar Scalp Shampoo is a shampoo containing the active ingredient coal tar. This is a thick, heavy oil which can reduce scales, inflammation and itchiness. Polytar Scalp Shampoo is used to treat scalp conditions such as psoriasis (thickened patches of inflamed, red skin, often covered by silvery scales), seborrhoeic dermatitis (red, scaly, itchy scalp), eczema (itchy skin rash), itchiness and scaling due to these conditions and dandruff.
Before you use Polytar Scalp Shampoo
Do not use Polytar Scalp Shampoo:
– If you have ever had an allergic reaction to coal tar, or any of the ingredients
– On infected open or damaged skin, or pus-filled blisters (pustules).
– If you are under 12 years.
Take care with this medicine:
– Polytar Scalp Shampoo may cause irritancy if in contact with sensitive areas, such as broken or inflamed skin. Stop using Polytar Scalp Shampoo if irritation develops. – Avoid contact with the eyes. If it gets in your eyes, rinse with clean water.
– Avoid exposure to strong sunlight or sun beds. If exposure cannot be avoided, wear protective clothing and sunscreen.
– Can stain skin or clothes and can rarely cause a temporary change in hair colour.
– Do not smoke or go near naked flames – risk of severe burns. Fabric (clothing, bedding, dressings etc) that has been in contact with this product burns more easily and is a serious fire hazard. Washing clothing and bedding may reduce product build-up but not totally remove it
How to use Polytar Scalp Shampoo
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist, if you are not sure.
Adults and children aged 12 years and over: Use Polytar Scalp Shampoo once or twice a week for four weeks. Use for longer than this should only be on the advice of a doctor
- Wet your hair
- Use enough shampoo so that the lather is abundant to cover your scalp, hair and adjacent areas, if also affected
- Massage the scalp and adjacent areas well using your fingertips
- Rinse your scalp and hair thoroughly
- Repeat steps 2 to 4
- Polytar Scalp Shampoo should be in contact with your scalp for a total time of three to five minutes over the two applications.
Always read the patient information leaflet before use.
Polytar Scalp Shampoo Ingredients
Active ingredient: Coal tar solution 4% (w/w).
Other ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Phosphate Dihydrate, Citric Acid Monohydrate, Benzyl Alcohol, Macrogol 150 Distearate, Hexylene Glycol, Oleyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium 10, Fruitier Timotei Fragrance, Purified Water.
Like all medicines, Polytar Scalp Shampoo can cause side effects, although not everybody gets
them. A small number of people have had side effects.
Stop taking this medicine and tell your doctor immediately if you experience:
– Allergic reactions. These may include developing a rash, swelling of the mouth or face or
having difficulty breathing.
Stop taking the medicine and tell your doctor if you experience:
• eye irritation
• unusual hair loss or thinning
• eczema (itchy skin rash)
• hair colour changes
• abnormal hair texture
• sensitivity to sunlight
• skin irritation, skin may be dry, red or itchy, you may feel a burning sensation on the skin
• skin pain, rash or swelling at the application site
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in the package leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow
Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.