What can you use Phenergan – Promethazine Hydrochloride – for?
Promethazine hydrochloride is an allergy medication which can reduce the symptoms of allergic reactions such as hay fever, rashes and insect bites or stings. It can also be used to both treat and prevent you feeling nauseous or being sick, such as post-surgery or in the case of severe travel or motion sickness, for example.
This product also has mild sedative properties, which means it can be used as a short-term treatment in adults who suffer from difficulty sleeping or insomnia. In children ages 5 and up, it can also be used as a sedative.
How does the active ingredient promethazine hydrochloride help me?
The active ingredient in Phenergan is promethazine hydrochloride, which is an antihistamine medication. This ingredient belongs to a group of medicines known as phenothiazines.
These medicines work by blocking the effects of histamine, which is the substance your body makes during an allergic reaction. In blocking this substance, no signals are sent to your brain to begin fighting it off, which is where the symptoms of allergy come from. This is why antihistamine medicine works as a preventative measure as well as a curative one, as it can prevent the signal before you need it to, or help stop it while you’re suffering from the effects of an allergic reaction.
How should I take the product?
As Phenergan promethazine hydrochloride can help treat and alleviate the symptoms of a number of conditions, the suggested use and dosage for this product can vary.
For the treatment of allergies and allergy symptoms, the following does should be given to each age group.
• aged 5-10 — One 25mg tablet taken at night. Do not exceed this dosage in a single day.
• agedover 10, adults, & the elderly — Begin treatment with one 25mg tablet taken at night. If necessary, you can increase the dosage to one 25mg tablet taken twice a day.
For the prevention and treatment of nausea and sickness, the following doses are recommended:
• aged over 10, adults, & the elderly — One 25mg tablet taken the night before the journey. If necessary, take a second tablet 6-8 hours after the first dose.
When used as a short term child sedative or adult insomnia treatment, use these treatment guidelines:
• aged 5-10 — a single 25mg tablet taken at night.
• over 10, adults, & the elderly — One or two tablets taken at night, depending on the severity of the insomnia.
If your child is under the age of 5, it is recommended that you do not use Promethazine hydrochloride, and instead seek alternative treatments. Please note that you should not use this treatment for longer than 7 days. If your symptoms worsen or do not improve after this point, cease treatment and contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Does my pharmacist need to know anything before I take the product?
Phenergan Promethazine hydrochloride tablets can be purchased without the need of a prescription, but, in some circumstances, you may need to discuss with your doctor or pharmacist first so they can provide advice on whether this product is right for you.
For example, you should inform your pharmacist if you suffer from any of the following issues:
• Difficulty breathing such as wheezing, asthma, or bronchitis
• Serious heart problems
• Liver or kidney problems
• Stomach blockages or difficulty passing water
• Hearing problems
• Increased pressure in the eye, such as in narrow angle glaucoma
• If you suffer from Reye’s Syndrome or the associated symptoms, such as severe sickness and unexplained confusion
Please ensure to inform your pharmacist of other medications you are taking, whether they’re over the counter or prescription-based, before you start taking promethazine hydrochloride. This is because this substance can interfere with how some medications work.
For example, your doctor or pharmacist must know if you are taking medications such as anticholinergic agents, medications for depression, other sleep aids such as diazepam, and medications such as aspirin taken for arthritis or joint pain. This is because these medications can exacerbate the side effects of Phenergan, or Phenergan can mask the side effects of these medications.