Mometasone Furoate Nasal Spray For Hay Fever
Mometasone Furoate nasal spray is a hay fever medication that works by reducing inflammation and swelling in your nose to relieve hay fever symptoms. Hay fever is a common seasonal allergic rhinitis that usually occurs during spring and summer when pollen counts are high. Common symptoms are: sneezing, congestion, runny nose and itchy eyes. Mometasone Furoate hay fever nose spray is a orticosteroid (or steroid) and can also be used for sinusitis, non-allergic rhinitis and nasal polyps. Within two days of using Mometasone Furoate spray you should begin to feel relief from the hay fever symptoms. See our full range of allergy relief treatments.
What is Mometasone Furoate Nasal Spray?
It is a non-drowsy medication that is both scent-free and alcohol-free
Mometasone belongs to a group of medicines known as corticosteroids. These medicines work by actively reducing inflammation and swelling in order to relieve the symptoms associated with hay fever, such as itchy eyes and nose, sneezing and congestion.
They can be used to treat a range of conditions, including hay fever, sinusitis, non-allergic rhinitis and nasal polyps.
Steroid nasal sprays can be used as a long-term treatment or just when they’re needed.
For hay fever, it’s best use them from a week or two before you think your symptoms will start, as they can take a few days to work.
It’s important to use your spray regularly, even if you’re feeling better. Make sure to use every day otherwise the spray won’t be helpful.
For more information about Allergies, click here.
How to use Nasonex (Mometasone Furoate)?
Treatment of Hayfever and Perennial Rhinitis in adults.
The usual dose is two sprays into each nostril once a day.
Once your symptoms are under control, you may to decrease the dose.
If you do not start to feel any better, you should see your doctor.
In some patients Nasonex begins to relieve symptoms within 12 hours after the first dose; however full benefit of treatment may not be seen in the first two days. Therefore, you should continue regular use to achieve full benefit of treatment.
Preparing your Mometasone Furoate spray for use
Your Nasonex Nasal Spray has a dust cap which protects the nozzle and keeps it clean. Remember to take this off before using the spray and to replace it after use.
If you are using the spray for the first time you need to ‘prime’ the bottle by pumping the spray 10 times until a fine mist is produced:
- Gently shake the bottle.
- Put your forefinger and middle finger either side of the nozzle and your thumb underneath the bottle. Do Not pierce the nasal applicator.
- Point the nozzle away from you and then press down with your fingers to pump the spray 10 times until a fine mist is produced.
If you have not used the spray for 14 days or more, you need to “re-prime” the bottle by pumping the spray 2 times until a fine mist is produced.
How to use your nasal spray
- Shake the bottle gently and remove the dust cap. (Figure 1)
- Gently blow your nose.
- Close one nostril and put the nozzle into the other nostril as shown. (Figure 2) Tilt your head forward slightly, keeping the bottle upright.
- Start to breathe in gently or slowly through your nose and whilst you are breathing in squirt a spray of fine mist into your nose by pressing down ONCE with your fingers.
- Breathe out through your mouth. Repeat step 4 to inhale a second spray in the same nostril if applicable.
- Remove the nozzle from this nostril and breathe out through the mouth.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 for the other nostril.
After using the spray, wipe the nozzle carefully with a clean handkerchief or tissue and replace the dust cap.