Gaviscon Infant ( 30 Sachets )
Help stop baby’s reflux with Gaviscon Infant, the only regurgitation medicine specifically formulated for babies. suitable for both breast and formula-fed babies alongside existing feed.
What Gaviscon Infant is and what is it used for?
Gaviscon Infant contains sodium alginate and magnesium alginate which belong to a group of medicines called “reflux suppressants”. Reflux is the process by which the stomach contents flow back up the tube that leads from the mouth to the stomach (known as the gullet or oesophagus). This can cause an infant to be sick, spit up more than normal and become distressed. Gaviscon Infant prevents reflux by stabilising the stomach contents, so reducing the incidence of reflux and bringing up of feeds (posseting).
See more on Reflux In Babies
Before using Gaviscon Infant
Do not use Gavsicon Infant:
• if your baby was born pre-maturely
• if your child is allergic to magnesium alginate, sodium alginate or any of the other ingredients
• if your child is being sick, has a fever or diarrhoea
• if you have been told or it is suspected that your child has damage to their kidneys or they have been put on a low salt diet
• if you have been told that your child has a blockage in their gut (an intestinal obstruction)
How to use Gaviscon Infant
For infants aged 1 to 2 years. Not to be used in premature infants or infants under one year except under medical supervision. Not suitable for children over 2 years, adults or the elderly. Always use Gaviscon Infant exactly as described below. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Bottle fed infants:
• Mix each sachet into 115ml (4 fluid oz) of milk feed in the bottle
• Shake well
• Feed as normal
Breast fed infants and other infants up to 2 years of age:
• Mix each sachet with 5ml (1 teaspoon) of cooled, boiled water until a smooth paste is formed
• Add another 10ml (2 teaspoons) of cooled, boiled water and mix
• For breast fed infants give Gaviscon Infant part way through each feed or meal using a spoon or feeding bottle
• For all other infants give Gaviscon Infant at the end of each meal using a spoon or feeding bottle.
Do not use anymore than 6 sachets in 24 hours and always read the patient information leaflet before use.
Each single dose sachet of Gaviscon Infant contains 225 mg sodium alginate and 87.5 mg magnesium alginate as the active ingredients. The other ingredients are mannitol (E421) and colloidal silica.
See our other Child and Baby Products
Like all medicines, Gaviscon Infant can cause side effects, although not everybody gets
Very rarely (less than 1 in 10,000) patients may experience constipation & diarrhoea. Side
effects for which the frequency cannot be estimated from available data include
hypersensitivity, bloating, discomfort of the stomach (gastric distension) and intestinal
If the child has any side effects, stop giving Gaviscon Infant and tell your doctor or other
Also you can help to make sure that medicines remain as safe as possible by reporting
any unwanted side effects via the internet at http://www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store.