Ferrous Fumarate 322mg – 28 Tablets
- Food Supplement
- Active Ingredient: Ferrous Fumarate
- Buy with confidence from UK registered pharmacy
Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet. Iron helps the body to make healthy red blood cells which carry oxygen around the body.
What Ferrous Fumarate Tablets Are And What They Are Used For
Ferrous Fumarate Tablets contain a form of iron called ferrous fumarate. Iron is usually found in foods and is necessary for the normal development of red blood cells. A lack of iron affects the development of the red blood cells and causes a reduction in the number of red blood cells found in the body (iron deficiency anaemia).
Ferrous Fumarate Tablet Consumption Precautions
DO NOT take Ferrous Fumarate Tablets if:
- You are allergic to Ferrous fumarate or any of the other ingredients of this supplement (listed in section 6), or to any other medicine containing iron
- You have noticed blood in your urine
- You suffer from any form of anaemia, other than iron deficiency anaemia, or from any other condition where your body’s iron is affected (your doctor will be able to advise you)
- You have bronze markings on your skin or you have been told that you have increased stores of iron in your tissues
- You are suffering from a recently diagnosed stomach or duodenal ulcer
- You are undergoing repeated blood transfusions
- You suffer from ulcerative colitis or any other inflammatory condition of the bowels.
Speak to your doctor if any of these apply to you before you take your supplement.
How To Take Ferrous Fumarate Tablets
Always take this supplement exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
The recommended dose:
The recommended dose is one tablet a day. Occasionally it may be increased to one tablet twice a day.
To help you to remember to take your supplement, select the tablet(s) for the appropriate day of the week marked on the strips.
Swallow the tablets with a glass of water. Taking Ferrous Fumarate Tablets with meals may help to relieve any stomach related side effects. Your doctor will advise you on how long you should take the tablets. Normally this will be for 3 – 6 months after the
anaemia has been rectified. If you have to go to another doctor or to hospital, tell them you are taking Ferrous Fumarate Tablets.
Ferrous Fumarate Tablet is not suitable for children.
Your supplement is very dangerous if taken by young children and great care should be taken to keep the supplement safely out of sight and reach of children. If a child has taken or is suspected of taking any of the tablets, immediate medical advice should be sought (see below – If you take more Ferrous Fumarate Tablets than you should).
If you take more Ferrous Fumarate Tablets than you should
If you take too many tablets, or a child takes or is suspected of taking any tablets at all, contact your nearest hospital casualty department or doctor immediately. Take any remaining tablets and this leaflet with you so that the medical staff know exactly what has been taken.
If you forget to take your Ferrous Fumarate Tablets
Take another from the pack as soon as you remember, according to the day of the week. Then go on as before. If it is almost time for the next dose, then do not take the missed dose at all.
Possible Side Effects
Like all supplements, Ferrous Fumarate Tablets can sometimes cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
They might be:
- Stomach discomfort
- Pain in upper part of the stomach
- Vomiting sensation
- Difficulty in passing stools
- Loose stools.
Also, you may find that your stools are darker in colour after you have taken this supplement. This is quite commonly seen with all iron preparations and is normal.
Storing Ferrous Fumarate Tablets
- Do not use this supplement after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and blister after “Exp”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Store below 25°C.
- Store in the original package in order to protect from light.
- Do not use your supplement if the pack is damaged.
The active substance is ferrous fumarate. Each tablet contains 322 mg ferrous fumarate (equivalent to approximately 100 mg ferrous iron). Ferrous fumarate is an iron compound. The other ingredients are maize starch, sodium lauryl sulphate, gelatin and liquid paraffin. The film coating of the tablets contains hypromellose, acetylated monoglyceride, hydroxypropyl cellulose, titanium dioxide (E171), talc, iron oxide yellow (E172) and iron oxide red (E172).