Hedrin Lotion 50ml
Hedrin lotion works in a way different from how conventional insecticides work on head lice. It does not kill the parasites through the use of chemicals, the dimethicone in Hedrin lotion works by physically providing a coat to the lice.
What is Hedrin Lotion and what does it do?
The name of your medicine is Hedrin 4% Lotion. It is a cutaneous solution which is highly effective against head lice.
How To use Hedrin Lotion
Hedrin Lotion is suitable for adults and children aged 6 months and over.
Please note: If a member of the family has live head lice, check the other family members and treat all other cases of live head lice which are discovered, at the same time.
Hedrin is for external use only
• Apply sufficient lotion evenly over DRY hair ensuring that the scalp is fully covered.
• Work into the hair spreading the liquid evenly from the roots to tips. Allow the hair to dry naturally.
• Leave on the hair for at least 8 hours or overnight.
• Wash the hair with normal shampoo, rinse thoroughly with water and dry. Duration of treatment
• It is important that Hedrin Lotion is applied again after seven days to deal with any lice which may hatch in that time. Failure to repeat the treatment may result in the return of a louse infestation.
What Is Head Lice
• Head lice vary in size according to their age. From the size of a printed full stop…. ….to the size of a sesame seed Head lice can be difficult to spot because they can match their colour to that of the environment.
• Lice live close to the scalp where they feed on blood and this can cause the scalp to itch.
• Head lice cannot jump, fly or swim and can only be acquired by direct head to head contact. This is why lice are commonly found on the heads of children and those in close contact with children and why it is important to check the heads of all the family members when head lice are found.
• Head lice only live on humans and have no preference for clean or dirty hair.
• The female louse will lay between 3 and 5 eggs per day and these hatch after 7 days. This is why it is important to repeat this treatment after 7 days to ensure that any lice which have hatched after the first treatment are killed.
• Once the louse has hatched, the empty case (known as a nit) will remain glued to the hair shaft. Nits are completely harmless and can be removed with the fingers or a fine toothed comb. 2 Before using Hedrin
See more about Head Lice
The active substance is Dimeticone 4% w/w. Dimeticone is not a chemical poison. It works by a physical process which effectively covers and drowns the louse. The other ingredients are Cyclomethicone 5. Cyclomethicone 5 is a carrier ingredient which evaporates after application leaving the active ingredient to kill the lice.
See our other Treatments
If you experience any of the following, stop using Hedrin immediately (shampoo off) and talk to a doctor or pharmacist.
• Allergic reactions such as rash, swelling or weals on the skin.
• Breathing difficulties
When using Hedrin on broken skin, slight irritation may occur. Sometimes application may cause flaking of the scalp, itching, irritation around the eyes and hair loss.
If you notice any of these or other side effects, stop using the product and talk to a doctor or pharmacist