Optrex drops for allergy relief, 10ml.
£5.99 – £11.50
These fast-acting hay fever drops from renowned eyecare specialists Optrex relieve a range of symptoms which hay fever suffers will know all too well.
Relieves eye symptoms of hay fever such as:
What are Optrex allergy eye drops used for?
Relieving eye symptoms of allergies (allergic conjunctivitis) such as hay fever, pet allergies or dust mite allergies. These eye drops relieve red, itchy, puffy, watery eyes and are suitable for all age groups.
How do Optrex allergy eye drops work?
Optrex allergy eye drops contain the active ingredient sodium cromoglicate, which is a type of medicine that reduces allergic responses. It is thought to work by ‘stabilising’ immune cells called mast cells.
Mast cells are an important part of the immune system. They become sensitised when they are exposed to foreign particles or allergens, for example pollen or pet fur. When this happens, the mast cells release substances that include histamine, and these cause inflammation as part of the body’s immune response to fight the foreign substance. Inflammation in the eyes causes the typical symptoms of an eye allergy – redness, itching, puffiness and a watery discharge.
By stabilising the mast cells, sodium cromoglicate is thought to prevent the substances that cause the inflammation, eg histamine, from being released when the cells encounter an allergen. This helps prevent the allergic response and reduce the symptoms of the allergy.
How do I use Optrex allergy eye drops?
- Wash your hands before using the eye drops.
- One or two drops should be put into each eye four times a day, or as directed by your doctor.
- Take care to not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, or to your eye, in order to avoid contaminating the medicine.
- It may take a few days for your symptoms to be fully relieved by these eye drops, so if possible it’s best to start using them a few days before you’re exposed to the allergen. You can use the drops every day to control your symptoms for as long as you’re exposed to the allergen, for example throughout the pollen season. However, if you need to use the drops continuously for longer than three months you should get advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
- These eye drops should be disposed of four weeks after the bottle is first opened. This is because after this time they could be contaminated with dirt or germs that could cause eye infections. Write the date of opening on the bottle so you know when to throw them away. Dispose of them carefully, preferably by returning them to your pharmacy.
Who shouldn’t use Optrex allergy eye drops?
- People who wear contact lenses. Optrex allergy eye drops contain the preservative benzalkonium chloride, which can be absorbed by soft contact lenses and cause eye irritation. You should not wear contact lenses while you are using these eye drops.
- People with known sensitivity or allergy to any of the ingredients. If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using these eye drops and get advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
- Always read the leaflet before use
- Adults and children over 6 years: Gently squeeze 1 or 2 drops into each eye. Do not use more than 4 times a day.
- Do not exceed the stated dose
- Use this medicine only in your eyes
- Keep out of the sight and reach of children
- Do not use if sensitive to any of the ingredients. Do not use whilst wearing soft contact lenses
- Before first opening the bottle: This medicine does not require any special storage conditions
- After first opening the bottle: Do not store above 25°C
- Discard 28 days after first opening
- Do not use after date shown on pack.
Consult your doctor or pharmacist before use if you:
- Are pregnant or breast feeding
- Require further information.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects known to be associated with sodium cromoglicate eye drops. Just because a side effect is stated here doesn’t mean that all people using these drops will experience that or any side effect.
Temporary burning or stinging after putting the drops into the eyes.
Eye drops may cause your vision to blur temporarily after you have put them in your eye. Do not drive or operate machinery until this has worn off.
For the patient information leaflet