Guardium 20mg Gastro-Resistant Tablets (14)
- Works Fast To Stop Heartburn
- Lasts For 24 Hours
- Active Ingredient: Esomeprazole
- Buy With Confidence From UK Registered Pharmacy
This medicine contains the active substance esomeprazole. It belongs to a group of medicines called ‘proton pump inhibitors’. They work by reducing the amount of acid that your stomach produces. This medicine is used in adults for the short-term treatment of reflux symptoms (for example, heartburn and acid regurgitation).
Guardium 20mg Gastro-Resistant Tablets
What Are Guardium 20mg Gastro-Resistant Tablets?
Guardium contains the active substance esomeprazole. It belongs to a group of medicines called ‘proton pump inhibitors’. They work by reducing the amount of acid that your stomach produces. This medicine is used in adults for the short-term treatment of reflux symptoms (for example, heartburn and acid regurgitation). Reflux is the backflow of acid from the stomach into the gullet (“foodpipe”) which may become inflamed and painful. This may cause you symptoms such as a painful
sensation in the chest rising up to your throat (heartburn) and a sour taste in the mouth (acid regurgitation).
See more information on heartburn on the NHS website.
Before You Use Guardium 20mg Gastro-Resistant Tablets
Do NOT use this medicine if you:
- are allergic to esomeprazole or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
- are allergic to medicines containing other proton pump inhibitors (e.g. pantoprazole, lanzoprazole, rabeprazole and omeprazole).
- are taking a medicine containing nelfinavir (used to treat HIV infection).
How to Take Guardium 20mg Gastro-Resistant Tablets
Swallow your tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not chew or crush the tablet. This is because the tablet contains coated pellets, which stop the medicine frombeing broken down by the acid in your stomach. It is important not to damage the pellets.
How To Store Guardium 20mg Gastro-Resistant Tablets
- Keep out of sight and reach of children.
- Do not use after the expiry date printed on the pack after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
Guardium Side Effects
Like all medicines, Guardium can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Some patients may experience side effects such as constipation or diarrhoea.
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
- Effects on your stomach or gut: diarrhoea, stomach ache, constipation, wind (flatulence).
- Feeling sick (nausea) or being sick (vomiting).
- Benign polyps in the stomach.
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
- Swelling of the feet and ankles.
- Disturbed sleep (insomnia), feeling sleepy.
- Dizziness, tingling feelings such as “pins and needles”.
- Spinning feeling (vertigo).
- Dry mouth.
- Changes in blood tests that check how the liver is working.
- Skin rash, lumpy rash (hives) and itchy skin.
Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people):
- Blood problems such as a reduced number of white blood cells or platelets. This can cause weakness, bruising or make infections more likely.
- Low levels of sodium in the blood. This may cause weakness, being sick (vomiting) and cramps
- Feeling agitated, confused or depressed.
- Taste changes.
- Eyesight problems such as blurred vision.
- Suddenly feeling wheezy or short of breath (bronchospasm).
- An inflammation on the inside of the mouth.
- An infection called “thrush” which can affect the gut and is caused by a fungus.
- Hair loss (alopecia).
- Skin rash on exposure to sunshine.
- Joint pain (arthralgia) or muscle pain (myalgia).
- Generally feeling unwell and lacking energy.
- Increased sweating.
Very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people):
- Low numbers of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets (a condition called pancytopenia)
- Seeing, feeling or hearing things that are not there (hallucinations)
- Severe liver problems leading to liver failure and inflammation of the brain.
- Muscle weakness
- Severe kidney problems
- Enlarged breasts in men
The active substance is esomeprazole. Each gastro-resistant tablet contains 20 mg esomeprazole (as esomeprazole magnesium). The other ingredients are: Microcrystalline cellulose, Macrogol 8000, Lactose monohydrate, Talc (E 553b), Methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer, Copovidone K 28, Crospovidone, Sucrose, Povidone K 90, Maize starch, Magnesium oxide, light (E 530), Silica colloidal, anhydrous, Magnesium stearate, Diethyl phthalate, Polysorbate 80, Ethylcellulose, Sodium laurilsulfate,
Hypromellose (E464), Titanium dioxide (E 171), Iron oxide red (E172), Shellac glaze, Iron oxide black (E172) and Propylene glycol.