Ferrograd Folic Tablets, 30
- Prevents and treats iron-deficiency anaemia
- Reduces the likelihood of stomach irritation
- Active Ingredient: Dried Ferrous Sulphate
- Buy with confidence from UK registered pharmacy
Ferrograd Folic tablets are an iron supplement used to prevent and treat iron-deficiency anaemia in pregnant women and to prevent anaemia due to folic acid deficiency during pregnancy.
What Ferrograd Folic Tablets are and what they are used for
Ferrograd Folic is an iron and folic acid supplement used to prevent and treat iron-deficiency anaemia and to prevent anaemia due to folic acid deficiency. Ferrograd Folic should only be used for the prevention and treatment of iron deficiency anaemia diagnosed by laboratory testing under the supervision of a medical doctor. Ferrograd Folic can be used by pregnant women, but only after the first thirteen weeks of pregnancy. A controlled-release system in the tablet allows release of the iron over a number of hours and reduces the likelihood of stomach irritation. The controlled-release system consists of a harmless plastic honeycomb with thousands of narrow passages containing iron. As the tablet passes through the stomach and gut the iron is released and the empty honeycomb is passed out in the stools.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor before you take Ferrograd Folic if you:
- Have a family history of problems dealing with iron (haemochromatosis, haemosiderosis, iron overload
- Have difficulties swallowing. Due to the risk of mouth ulceration and tooth discolouration, tablets should not be
sucked, chewed or kept in the mouth but swallowed whole with water.
- If you accidentally choke on a tablet, please contact your doctor as soon as possible. This is because there is a
risk of ulcers and narrowing of the bronchus occurring if the tablet enters the airways. This may result in
persistent coughing, coughing up blood and/or feeling out of breath, even if the choking happened days to
months before these symptoms occurred. Therefore you need to be urgently assessed to make sure that the
tablet doesn’t damage your airways.
*IMPORTANT* If you take more Ferrograd Folic Tablets than you should
If you accidentally take more than one tablet in one day or if a child has taken the tablets, you should seek medical advice urgently.
How to store Ferrograd Folic
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children as overdose may be fatal.
- Do not use these tablets after their use-by (expiry) date, which is printed on the box and on the edge of the strip of
tablets. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. If the tablets are out of date, return them to your pharmacist
and, if necessary, obtain some more tablets.
- Do not store above 25°C. Store in the original package in order to protect from light.
- IMPORTANT WARNING – contains iron.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of
medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
What Ferrograd Folic contains
The active ingredients in Ferrograd Folic are: Dried Ferrous Sulphate 325 mg (equivalent to 105 mg elemental iron) in a
controlled-release Gradumet form and Folic Acid 0.35 mg (corresponding 350 micrograms).
Other ingredients are:methylacrylate methylmethacrylate copolymer (1:1), magnesium stearate, povidone, macrogol
8000, Colloidal Anhydrous Silica, lactose monohydrate (see section 2), sucrose (see section 2), acacia powder, maize
starch, cellacefate, sorbitan oleate, castor oil virgin, titanium dioxide (E171) and dye Red Ponceau 4R (E124)