Algesal Cream 50g
- Local Analgesic To Relieve Pain
- Active Ingredient: Diethylamine Salicylate
- Buy With Confidence From UK Registered Pharmacy
- Includes Free Prescription
Algesal is a cream which contains diethylamine salicylate, a local analgesic to relieve the pain of rheumatic and minor muscular conditions including lumbago, fibrositis, sciatica, bruises and strains.
What Algesal Cream is and what it is used for
Algesal is a cream which contains diethylamine salicylate, a local analgesic to relieve the pain of rheumatic and minor muscular conditions including lumbago, fibrositis, sciatica, bruises and strains
See more on sciatica on the NHS website.
Before you use Algesal Cream
Do not use the Alegsal Cream if:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients
- You are allergic to aspirin or medicines like aspirin.
- The surface of the skin is broken.
- A child is under 6 years old or has a history of convulsions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Algesal Cream if you are:
- Elderly, as using too much could cause agitation and confusion
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking:
- Medicines used to prevent blood clotting such as warfarin, as the anti-clotting effects could be increased by using Algesal
- Methotrexate used to treat severe rheumatoid arthritis or certain cancers, as using Algesal could lead to toxic levels of methotrexate in the blood
- Any other medicines including those bought without prescription
Pregnant or breastfeeding:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using Algesal if you are pregnant, might be pregnant or are breastfeeding. Algesal should not be used in pregnancy or breastfeeding unless the doctor has told you to do so
How to use Algesal Cream
Adults, the elderly and children over 6:
- Apply it to the skin
- Apply a small amount to the affected area and massage until the cream is fully absorbed
- Always try Algesal on a small area of skin first
- Always use sparingly
- Avoid contact with eyes and sensitive areas of the skin
- Apply 3 times a day to the affected area
- Wash hands well after use
How to store Algesal Cream
- Keep Algesal it out of the sight and reach of children.
- Do not store above 25°C.
- Do not use after the expiry date shown on the carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Medicine should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of any unused medicine. These measures will help to protect the environment.
Algesal Cream Ingredients
- The active ingredient in Alegsal Cream is: diethylamine salicylate 10% w/w.
- The other ingredients are: ethylene glycol stearate, glycerol monostearate, stearic acid, triethanolamine, petrolatum, light liquid paraffin, microcrystalline wax, lavandin composition, purified water.
See our full range of pain relief treatments here at My Pharmacy.
Like all medicines, Algesal can have side effects, which are usually mild, although these don’t affect everyone.
Temporary skin reactions such as redness, a burning sensation and rashes may occur.
You may experience discomfort if used in hot weather or after a hot bath or if you have sensitive skin.
If you notice excessive skin irritation or any other side effect not included above, stop use and tell your doctor or pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.